Roy Nelson has said several times that he always figured Shane Carwin would not make it to their planned meeting at The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale Saturday night. Nelson, who will be facing Matt Mitrione instead, actually feels more interest in meeting his former TUF castmate.
"Matt actually asked for this fight, so it's more personal," said Nelson, during a conference call on Monday. "The biggest thing we switched up was Shane and Matt are two different fighters."
Nelson (17-7) has alternated wins and losses in each of his last four fights, including a victory over Dave Herman his last time out. His previous three defeats have come at the hands of highly-ranked heavyweights Fabricio Werdum, Frank Mir and current UFC champion Junior dos Santos.
"Big Country" said the main difference between being on TUF and coaching on the show is "competing you have one goal - to win. As a coach, you're trying to get eight guys to win and it's up to them who wants it more."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Anderson Silva Targeting Summer Return To The Octagon
- Jon Jones Recovering Well From His Elbow Injury
- Carlos Condit On Rematching Rory MacDonald: "I'm In"
- Mark Hominick Announces His Retirement From MMA
- Bellator Delays Rad Martinez-Shahbulat Shamhalaev Bout Until 2013
- UFC On Fox 5 Official Numbers Release; Event Drew 4.4 Million Viewers
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.