A month after a cut in training camp that required 38 stitches above Rory MacDonald's (13-1) eye in August and the fighter is on the cusp of returning to sparring.
"The surgeon had to stitch the inside, the muscle, then the outside and then there's an eyebrow also," said Zahabi on Sherdog. "There's three layers of stitches they had to do."
In his next fight, MacDonald takes on B.J. Penn (16-8-2) at UFC on FOX 5 on December 8. Before MacDonald's injury, the two were slated for UFC 152.
"Rory actually really wanted to continue with the fight," Zahabi said. "He didn't want to take no for an answer. He didn't want to even consider not doing the fight. I actually had to calm him down a little bit and bring in his managers and all sit down and kind of have a rational, mature discussion about it."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Chael Sonnen Says Jon Jones Is "Next"
- Dana White Calls Spike TV The Worst Channel
- Greg Jackson Was Concerned When Vitor Belfort Locked In The Armbar
- Vladimir Matyushenko Rips Matt Hamill - Roger Hollett Fight
- Cub Swanson Awaits José Aldo Rematch
- UFC Not Happy With How Bellator Handles Contracts
- Dana White Says Georges St-Pierre Is The Top UFC PPV Attraction, Talks Silva Vs. GSP
- Brian Stann Surprised By Decision Loss To Michael Bisping
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline