Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Renato "Babalu" Sobral has been informed by Bellator that he will be part of the 2013 light heavyweight tournament beginning in early 2013. Sobral signed with the promotion recently, but will wait until at least January before fighting again.
"I'm very excited," said Sobral, in an interview with Tatame.com. "The best thing about this kind of tournament is that the matchmaker doesn't have to do anything. You gotta win in order to become the champion."
The Bellator 205-pound title is currently held by Christian M'Pumbi. Bellator also has former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal signed to its roster.
Sobral will be working with Kings MMA primarily, but will also prepare at his own gym and at Black House alongside the likes of Lyoto Machida and Roger Gracie. He last fought in June, submitting Tatsuya Mizuno via armbar.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Michael Bisping On Possible Light Heavyweight Return
- Report: Frank Mir-Daniel Cormier Set For November 3
- Daniel Cormier Says Tim Sylvia's Name Was Among Those Discussed For Strikeforce Fight
- Jose Aldo Involved In Accident, Escapes With No Serious Injuries
- Renato "Babalu" Sobral Slated For Bellator Debut Next Year
- Bellator Wants More Action From Its Champions Starting In 2013
- Jon Jones Doesn't Care If You Hate Him
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.