UFC interim bantamweight champion Renan Barão (29-1-1 NC) will remain on the sidelines until the divisions champion Dominick Cruz (19-1) returns to unify the titles. Barão's coach, Andre Pederneiras spoke about the decision.
"He just won the title, just fought," said Pederneiras to UOL. "We will wait. Look how long the wait was for [Carlos] Condit and GSP to unify the belt?"
Cruz remains out of action with an ACL injury. He last fought just over a year ago in October 2011, when he defended his bantamweight championship for the second time.
Urijah Faber (26-6) was the only person to hand Cruz the taste of defeat. Barão defeated Faber in July to become the interim champion. After Barão lost in first MMA fight, he has gone on to win the last 29 of them over the span of seven years.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Cruz's return date is unknown.
- Rashad Evans Discusses Chael Sonnen-Jon Jones Bout
- Kenny Florian: UFC Sending Message To "Step Up" By Giving Sonnen Fight
- Dana White Wants Cowboy Stadium As Soon As Fight Can Be Made
- Eddie Alvarez Opens Up About His Future
- MFC Promoter Mark Pavelich Has An Issue With Female MMA
- Jeremy Stephens Released From Jail, Issues Statement
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.