Less than a month after he defeated Rashad Evans at UFC 145, Jon Jones was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence after crashing his Bentley into a telephone pole in the early morning hours of May 19 in Binghamton, New York.
As news of the wreck spread, many MMA fans gleefully celebrated Jones' misfortune. Now the idea that there's a large gap between Jones' public image and private life was finally validated -- the champion is fake and they knew it all along.
One man who has been a very vocal participant in the "Jones is fake" movement is Rashad Evans, the champion's former training partner and most recent opponent. Leading up to their fight, Evans told anyone who would listen that Jones is a different man behind the scenes. But now, with their rivalry buried (or at least cooled), Evans only wishes Jones the best on his mission to get back on track, taking a more mature approach than kicking the man while he's down.
"Honestly, it's hard to really say if it surprised me. I just hate to see that happen to him, or to anybody for that matter," Evans said on this week's episode of UFC Tonight. "Some people could've really got hurt. Thankfully nobody did get hurt. Hopefully, he learned his lesson from it and he can continue to move on and be a great champion."
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
- Wagner Prado To Face Phil Davis In Griggs' Place
- Rick Story Facing New Opponent… Again
- More Details From Arianny Celeste's Domestic Violence Case (With Mugshots)
- Rousimar Palhares Says He Was Sick During Alan Belcher Fight
- Video: Jose "Pele" Landi-Jons Calls Out "Wussy Liar" Anderson Silva
- Martin Kampmann Eyeing Title Shot With Win Over Ellenberger
- Bendo Thinks Frankie Edgar Rematch Will Be The Same Old Dance
- Rashad Evans Talks Jon Jones' DUI
- UFC Finds Replacement For Vitor Belfort To Face Wanderlei Silva At UFC 147
- Matt Brown In, Matt Riddle Out, To Face Luis Ramos At "UFC On FX 4"
- Video: Go 1-On-1 With Jake Ellenberger
- "UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir" Medical Suspensions Issued
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.