Martin Kampmann (20-5) is inching towards a shot at the welterweight championship according to Randy Couture (19-11), who is also his head trainer.
"I think Kampmann's last win puts him real close to No. 1 contender status in that division," said Couture. "Between him and Johny Hendricks, you're probably looking at the next title shot after we settle the dispute between [Carlos] Condit and Georges [St-Pierre]."
In the UFC Kampmann is 10-4 since his debut in 2006. He bounced back from a two fight losing streak and has won all three of his last fights.
While Couture doesn't think Kampmann has won many rounds lately, he always manages to pull off the victory.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"He just continues to move up," said Couture. "I'm not sure that he's won a round in the last three fights, but certainly won the last three fights in a very convincing fashion. I think Martin, in a lot of ways, is the perfect example of it's not always whether you win or lose; it's important how you compete and Martin has been in some amazingly competitive fights."
Kampmann and Hendricks are expected to fight in a title eliminator at UFC 154 on November 17.
- Luke Rockhold Set To Return Sooner Than Expected
- Vitor Belfort "Joyful" To Fight Jon Jones, Blasts Fighters Who Have Become "Divas"
- Dana White Says There's Only One Difference Between Fighting Henderson And Sonnen
- Chael Sonnen Rips "Selfish Brat" Jon Jones For Refusing Fight
- Video: Bellator 73 Highlights Feature Quick Finishes
- Fear The Fighter Steps Up To Help Finance Eddie Yagin
- Joe Lauzon Requested Bout With Gray Maynard
- Cung Le Back Training, Says Foot Remains "Sore"
- Jones' Striking Coach Hints That Chael Sonnen Had Been Training For Weeks
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.