Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney confirmed that the planned featherweight tournament finale between Rad Martinez and Shahbulat Shamhalaev will not be contested this coming Friday night. The fight was delayed last week after Shamhalaev came down with food poisoning.
Rebney, during a conference call announcing the premier for Bellator on Spike TV next year, said that Martinez will not be able to fight because of his responsibilities in taking care of his father.
"Rad and Shamhalaev will fight sometime during season eight," Rebney said. "Rad's just not able to make it work and I completely respect what he's got to tend to."
Rebney said he "spoke too soon" when he made the announcement last week that they would fight Friday night. The story between Martinez and his father, who suffered severe brain damage in a car accident, was featured on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" program previously.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Anderson Silva Targeting Summer Return To The Octagon
- Jon Jones Recovering Well From His Elbow Injury
- Carlos Condit On Rematching Rory MacDonald: "I'm In"
- Mark Hominick Announces His Retirement From MMA
- Bellator Delays Rad Martinez-Shahbulat Shamhalaev Bout Until 2013
- UFC On Fox 5 Official Numbers Release; Event Drew 4.4 Million Viewers
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.