Dominick Cruz, the UFC bantamweight champion, has secured a sponsorship for his yet-to-be-determined next fight. Phoenix International Raceway, which hosted a NASCAR Sprint Cup race over the weekend, has agreed to sponsor Cruz.
Cruz served as the honorary pace car driver for the AdvoCare 500 on Sunday, and is already scheduled to do the same again in March when the track hosts the SUBWAY Fresh Fit 500.
"We are very excited to be sponsoring Dominick Cruz in his upcoming championship fight to retain the UFC bantamweight title," said PIR president Bryan R. Sperber. "We believe this is the first time that a track has sponsored a UFC fighter and the fact that Dominick is both an Arizonan and a NASCAR fan made this a great opportunity for us to support him in regaining his belt."
Cruz is expected to meet Renan Barao, who won the interim title earlier this year when he defeated Urijah Faber. Cruz was sidelined with a knee injury suffered in training. He said it will "be an honor to wear the PIR logo on my trunks when I step into the Octagon."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Michael Bisping: If Anderson Silva Wants Time Off, Make Interim Title
- Ratings Hold Strong For Latest Episode Of The Ultimate Fighter
- UFC Goes With Alan Belcher-Yushin Okami For Final UFC 155 Main Card Bout
- Tyrone Spong Grades His MMA Debut From The WSOF
- Date Announced For Bellator Season 7 Featherweight Finals
- UFC 157 Targeted For February 23, Anaheim, California
- Jorge Masvidal: Strikeforce Lacks Communication
- Anderson Silva: No Plans To Enter Octagon, Challenge GSP At UFC 154
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.