t's been close to two years since French-Canadian middleweight Patrick Cote last graced the Octagon but, thanks to Vitor Belfort's unfortunate hand injury, The Predator will once again compete in the UFC.
The 32-year-old got the call to step in for Rich Franklin (who stepped in for Belfort) against Cung Le later this summer at UFC 148, an opportunity which he's hoping will provide him with his fifth straight win. The elated fighter -- who's been campaigning for another shot in the UFC for some time -- took to Twitter to express his gratitude to those who pushed for him to recover his spot on the UFC's roster.
I M BACK !!! UFC 148 Las Vegas , july 7th vs the dangerous Cung Le ! Thanks everybody for the support !
Thanks to @ufc @danawhite and Joe Silva to put me back in a big fight like that !!! @brtopteam
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
Want to say thank you to all of you guys who support me ! You did a good job on pushing for my comeback !! #UFC148
17-7 as a pro, Cote has been with the UFC off and on since 2004, when he debuted against Tito Ortiz. He was cut from the promotion most recently after losing three straight (to Anderson Silva, Alan Belcher and Tom Lawlor) and has since rattled off four consecutive victories in smaller promotions.
UFC 148 goes down on July 7 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- UFC Veteran Jay Hieron Discusses His Role In Martin Kampmann’s Training Camp
- TUF Winner Michael Chiesa Discusses Winning Tournament, Future Plans
- Martin Kampmann Wants Title Shot Or Johny Hendricks Next
- Pros Pick Forrest Griffin Vs. Tito Ortiz 3
- Scott Coker Says Rousey-Cyborg Is Inevitable
- Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker Didn’t Foresee Daniel Cormier’s Ascension
- Blagoi Ivanov Released From Hospital
- Jon Fitch Out Of Planned Bout With Aaron Simpson
- "TUF: The Smashes" Will Feature Welterweights, Lightweights
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.