Of the several prominent UFC fighters who shared their picks for this weekend's main event at UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Mir, few gave two-time Heavyweight Champion, Frank Mir a chance against the UFC's current Heavyweight title holder.
In fact, only one out of the six men interviewed by Spencer Lazaria, UFC veteran, Krystof Soszynski gave Mir a chance—sort of.
"Based on him [Mir] being my Xycience buddy, based on him being my coach (on TUF 8) and my training partner, I'm gonna go with Frank Mir," divulged Soszynski with a disingenuous smile.
Junior Dos Santos's speed and crisp boxing seemed to be the common rationale among the remaining five fighters questioned who all picked the Brazilian to be victorious.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
The UFC's sidelined Bantamweight Champion, Dominick Cruz, and The Ultimate Fighter: Bisping vs. Miller notable, TJ Dillashaw gave Mir little chance to dispatch Dos Santos.
"[Junior's] a beast," stated Cruz with little hesitation. "[He's] almost impossible to take down and keeps going and going."
"Dos Santos is way too good on the feet," expounded Dillashaw. "Way too fast, too athletic."
Light Heavyweight contender Dan Henderson, as well as Jake Ellenberger were more reserved in their responses to the question of who would be Heavyweight Champ after this Memorial Day Weekend.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
"Dos Santos hits hard and scrambles well… Frank Mir is no slouch on his feet either. He's got some size and is very, very good on the ground," explained Henderson.
In regards to what might make the difference in the fight, Henderson opined, "Sometimes when [Mir] gets hit with strikes he doesn't do the best," possibly referring to Mir's brutal KO loss at the hands of Shane Carwin.
Welterweight Jake Ellenberger believed Dos Santos to "be a little faster and pose some more problems on the feet for Mir," when favoring the current heavyweight titleholder.
Mark Munoz, who chose Dos Santos as the victor in the upcoming match, showed respect for the former champion, when he referred to him as a "BJJ wizard." However, to "The Filipino Wrecking Machine," the Brazilian heavyweight's "agility and quickness with his punches," as well as the two's close relationship were the deciding factors in his pick.
With an apparent lack of respect from fellow fighters, Frank Mir looks to shock the world this Saturday, May 26 in UFC 146's main event.
Here is the video with the full interviews:
- Mir Takes No Issue With Dos Santos Questioning His Manhood
- Alistair Overeem: "I'm Still Gonna Get That Belt"
- Video: Bas Rutten Extols The Virtues Of The Ground Game
- Dan Hardy: Training With Frank Mir Has Been Inspirational
- Dana White Maintains Little Concern For Fox Ratings
- Anderson Silva Slips Up, Lets The World Know What He Really Thinks Of Vitor Belfort
- Cesar Gracie Speaks Out On NSAC's Suspension Of Nick Diaz
- Welterweight Hendricks “Would Love To Wait” For GSP
- Carwin "Positive" He Will Be Medically Cleared To Fight
- "UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir" Final Card, Live Coverage Saturday
- Paul Taylor Out, Rafael Dos Anjos In To Face Anthony Njokuani At "UFC On FUEL 4"
- Anderson Silva Plans To Remain At Middleweight, Leave 205 To Training Partners
- Jon Jones' Manager Says "No One's Running From Anything" In Regards To Recent Arrest
- Josh Barnett Also Has Fight Left In Strikeforce
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.