Nick Newell (8-0) may have lost his hand and a chunk of his arm, but that hasn't stopped him from climbing the ranks at Xtreme Fight Championship (XFC). Next month, Newell takes on Eric Reynolds (16-5) for the vacant 155 pound championship.
"I think it's the perfect next step," said Newell to MMA Weekly. "I train hard, I'm 3-0 [in the XFC] and I've had two impressive finishes and one really good fight. I think I deserve it and I think I'm ready for it."
All but one of Newell's fights has ended with him taking home a round one stoppage. That one fight went to the judges, where Newell took the unanimous decision win. He has competed twice this year, with the most recent being over the summer.
Reynolds is no stranger to XFC either. He also holds three victories and his a former Bellator fighter. He enters the fight winning his last three, all out of the XFC.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"I think I'm a more versatile fighter," said Newell. "I have more ways of winning a fight wherever it goes – standing, on top, off my back, I'm good wherever it goes – me being comfortable in all situations is a big weapon I have."
XFC 21 takes place December 7 from Tennessee. AXS TV will stream the show.
- Lavar Johnson: "I Don't Really Bark, I Just Bite"
- Dustin Poirier: Nothing's For Sure In MMA 'til The Cage Is Locked
- Dana White To UFC On Fox 5 Fighters: Please, Stay Healthy
- Nick Diaz, Not Johny Hendricks, Is GSP's No. 1 Contender, Says Trainer
- Che Mills-Matt Riddle On Deck For UFC On Fuel TV 7
- Anderson Silva At 170 Pounds? Coach Says It Would Be A "Crime"
- ONE FC And GLORY Strike Deal, Additional DREAM Championship Fight Mentioned
- Lorenz Larkin: Luke Rockhold Signed To Fight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.