According to Ariel Helwani of MMAFighting.com, Nick Diaz will return to action in May. Diaz, however, will not be competing in MMA but will be in action at the World Jiu-Jitsu Expo in Long Beach, California on May 12.
Both the WJJE and Cesar Gracie confirmed that Diaz will compete. The former Strikeforce welterweight champion was interested in entering a tournament, but officials instead decided to place him in a superfight. No opponent has been signed yet.
Diaz, who announced his retirement from MMA following a loss to Carlos Condit earlier this year, tested positive for marijuana in his system following the bout. Gracie believes Diaz will return to MMA, but we have heard nothing from the fighter since the loss.
This is the first-ever World Jiu-Jitsu Expo, and stars like Renzo Gracie, Roger Gracie and Robert Drysdale will all be conducting free seminars during the event. Diaz is a black belt under Gracie, but has not competed in a BJJ match in two years.
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
- Vinny Magalhaes To Prepare Chael Sonnen For Anderson Silva
- UFC President Dana White Accepts Soccer Challenge, Date TBD
- Sam Stout-Spencer Fisher Latest Addition To "UFC On FX 4"
- Brian Stann Predicts Chael Sonnen Will Defeat Anderson Silva
- Matt Wiman Injured, John Alessio In To Face Mark Bocek At "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans"
- Rashad Evans Mobbed In Puerto Rico, Meets Boxer Felix Trinidad
- "Bellator 63" Ratings Remain Steady With Previous Season Cards
- Strikeforce Officially Announces Cormier - Barnett, Melendez - Thomson For May 19
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.