Nate Marquardt and Tyron Woodley will indeed be fighting each other for the vacant Strikeforce welterweight title and they'll be doing it this summer at Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine.
The long rumored match up was announced as being official by Strikeforce broadcast team during Strikeforce: Grand Prix Finale fight card.
Marquardt (31-10-2) has not competed since March of 2011, when he took a unanimous decision over Dan Miller at UFC 128. Marquardt was infamously released from the UFC after scratching the main event of UFC on Versus 4 by showing up to fight with elevated levels of testosterone. Marquardt will be making his welterweight debut against Woodley.
Meanwhile, Woodley (10-0) has continued to pick up victories in the Strikeforce welterweight division. The wrestler-first has begun to develop into a truly well-rounded mixed martial artist during his time with Strikeforce and has picked up wins over the likes of Jordan Mein, Paul Daley and Tarec Saffiedine as a result.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine is scheduled to take place on July 14 at the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon.
- Mir Gets No Love As Pro Fighters Make Their Picks
- Stipe Miocic Expects "Three-Round War" Against Del Rosario
- Latest Episode Of 'TUF: Live' Sets New Series-Low For Ratings
- Nick Diaz Suspended For One Year, Fined By NSAC
- A Look At The Top MMA-Run Ins With The Law
- NSAC Approves Chael Sonnen's TUE For TRT Request
- Edson Barboza Open To Title Shot, Fight Against Anthony Pettis
- Jon Jones Posts Statement On His Facebook Page
- Video: Episode Two Of "UFC 146 Primetime: Dos Santos Vs. Mir"
- "TUF: Brazil: Recap: Final Quarterfinal Takes Place, Fighters Switch Teams
- Mark Munoz Doesn't Believe Hector Lombard Is Near A Title Shot
- Opening Of UFC GYM BJ Penn Takes Place In Hawaii
- "Countdown To UFC 146" Debuts Wednesday On FUEL TV
- Frank Mir On Dos Santos: “He Goes To The Ground With Me, He’s Dead”