New Strikeforce welterweight Nate Marquardt isn't shy when it comes to discussing his abilities inside the cage. Marquardt won the title in a bout with Tyron Woodley over the weekend at Strikeforce: Rockhold Vs. Kennedy from Portland.
"I really feel like it's my time. I'm one of the best in the world, and actually, I feel like I'm the best in the world, the best welterweight," said Marquardt, during the post-fight press conference (thanks to MMAjunkie.com for transcribing). "This is a sport where everybody at this level is going to be tough. But I feel like I'm the best in the world, and that's who I expect I'll be fighting for my next fight."
Marquardt handled the previously-undefeated Woodley, dropping him with a series of elbows before delivering an uppercut that floored him. The former UFC fighter is now 32-10-2 in his long MMA career, which took an extended break before the match with Woodley.
Marquardt, who challenged for the UFC title a few years ago, was released by the promotion due to a failed issue with his testosterone levels. He signed with BAMMA, a promotion in England, but never fought. It had been well over a year since he had an actual match before besting Woodley.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Alexander Gustafsson Targeting Early Fall Return To Action
- Chael Sonnen Gives His Responses To "Rampage" Jackson
- Anderson Silva's Wife Extends BBQ Invite To Chael Sonnen
- Anthony Johnson Feels "Healthier" By Making Decision To Fight At 205
- John Lineker Vs. Yasuhiro Urushitani On Deck For UFC 151
- Melvin Guillard Says "There Is No Way" Donald Cerrone Can Beat Him
- Roy Nelson Happy To Be Average, Not Sure Where Hatred From Shane Carwin Originated
- Tito Ortiz Says TRT Use Needs To Be Stopped Right Now
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.