The rumors once again prove true: Nate Marquardt and Tyron Woodley will be facing off this summer to dispute the vacant Strikeforce welterweight title.
MMAWeekly first reported the match up, which is likely to headline a Strikeforce event scheduled for July.
UFC veteran Nate Marquardt (31-10-2) hasn't appeared in action since defeating Dan Miller by unanimous decision at UFC 128 in March of 2011. He was infamously scheduled to face Rick Story at UFC on Versus 4, but was forced out of the bout after he failed to receive medical clearance for registering elevated testosterone levels. He was briefly linked to BAMMA, but never fought in the promotion and eventually signed back with Zuffa under the Strikeforce banner.
Tyron Woodley (10-0) last fought in January, defeating Jordan Mein by split decision at Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine. Woodley has picked up wins over the likes of Paul Daley, Tarec Saffiedine and Andre Galvao on his way to this title fight.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Marquardt and Woodley haven't been linked to an event with a scheduled date and time, but are rumored to meet on July 14.
- Benson Henderson's First Title Defense Set For UFC 150 Against Frankie Edgar
- Urijah Faber To Compete For UFC Interim Bantamweight Title
- Nephew Of Anderson Silva To Compete Saturday At "Lion Fight Muay Thai VI"
- Papy Abedi Will Seek First UFC Win Vs. Rick Story At "UFC On FX 4"
- Gilbert Melendez "Coming For All The 55-Pounders" Regardless Of Promotion
- Another Week, Another Interesting Tim Kennedy Video
- Siyar Bahadurzada In For Yoshihiro Akiyama To Face Thiago Alves At "UFC 149"
- Team Cruz Wants UFC Bantamweight Champ To Remain On "TUF: Live"
- Lineup Finalized For Bellator 69 Next Friday
- UFC On Fox Ratings Suffer Steep Decline
- Sarah Kaufman Will Challenge Ronda Rousey In August
- Report States No MMA Coming To New York This Year
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.