According to a report by the New York Daily News, the New York Assembly Democratic conference has closed the door on MMA becoming legal in the state. Speaker Sheldon Silver confirmed the news that there were not enough votes for the bill to pass.
"It will not come to the floor this year," Silver said. He added that it, "was pretty evenly divided," and the bill could pass in the next couple years.
UFC president Dana White and his fight promotion have made it a mission to get the sport of MMA legal in New York for several years now. Those in New York will have to wait at least another year before trying to see MMA in the state.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Benson Henderson's First Title Defense Set For UFC 150 Against Frankie Edgar
- Urijah Faber To Compete For UFC Interim Bantamweight Title
- Nephew Of Anderson Silva To Compete Saturday At "Lion Fight Muay Thai VI"
- Papy Abedi Will Seek First UFC Win Vs. Rick Story At "UFC On FX 4"
- Gilbert Melendez "Coming For All The 55-Pounders" Regardless Of Promotion
- Another Week, Another Interesting Tim Kennedy Video
- Siyar Bahadurzada In For Yoshihiro Akiyama To Face Thiago Alves At "UFC 149"
- Team Cruz Wants UFC Bantamweight Champ To Remain On "TUF: Live"
- Lineup Finalized For Bellator 69 Next Friday
- UFC On Fox Ratings Suffer Steep Decline
- Sarah Kaufman Will Challenge Ronda Rousey In August
- Report States No MMA Coming To New York This Year
- With Dominick Cruz Out, Urijah Faber Hopes UFC Creates Interim TItle
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.