Coming off an exciting TUF 14 finale the Ultimate Fighting Championship is back this weekend with UFC 140 from Toronto, Canada. The second to last UFC event of 2011 will be headlined by the light heavyweight champion Jon Jones making his second title defense against former champion, Lyoto Machida.
The top three fights of UFC 140 our loaded with champions as five of the six fighters have been or currently are UFC champions. The main card will air on PPV with the preliminary fights being split between the UFC fan page on Facebook.com and ION Television. This will only be the second time the UFC has appeared on ION and with the UFC deal with FOX starting in 2012 it could very well be the last time.
Ok that’s enough knowledge dropping, now onto the predictions.
Main card (PPV):
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Jon Jones will defeat Lyoto Machida by 2nd rd. KO
- The precision like counterstriking of Machida could make this fight interesting, unless Jones doesn’t give him that opportunity. Machida will hold his own in the first round as the champion gets comfortable and measures out the range. In round two though Jones will press the action with his unorthodox striking, eventually landing the knockout shot.
Heavyweight bout: Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira will defeat Frank Mir by 2nd rd TKO
- It would be easy to say Mir wins again since he won the first time they fought but this is BOLD predictions. Mir enters the rematch with big Nog overly confident, coming off the lackluster wins and allows Nogueira to even the score. In the clinch Nogueira will hurt Mir, the fight will go to the ground where after some hammerfists, the referee will stop the fight.
Light Heavyweight bout: Tito Ortiz will defeat Antônio Rogério Nogueira by 3rd rd. TKO
- Aside from his UFC debut, Antônio Rogério Nogueira has looked good in the Octagon. Ortiz might have lost his last time out but he did look good early. Otriz will wear down Nogueira, taking it to the later rounds where he’ll takedown his tired opponent and ground and pound him out.
Welterweight bout: Brian Ebersole will defeat Claude Patrick by Unanimous Decision
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
- Patrick took this fight on short notice and is fighting in front of the home crowd but his 14 fight winning streak is going to come to a halt. Ebersole might not look it but the veteran can fight and his wins in the UFC prove it. Ebersole will be the bigger fighter which will give him the advantage that will allow him the decision.
Featherweight bout: Chan Sung Jung will defeat Mark Hominick by 2nd rd submission
- Hominick held his own against the featherweight champion Jose Aldo but this is a tough matchup for him. Chan Sung Jung will get the fight to the ground at some point and at that point Hominick will be in deep trouble. He’ll escape early but “The Korean Zombie” will get his second submission win in a row.
Preliminary card (Ion Television):
Light Heavyweight bout: Krzysztof Soszynski will defeat Igor Pokrajac
Middleweight bout: Jared Hamman will defeat Constantinos Philippou
Lightweight bout: John Makdessi will defeat Dennis Hallman
Bantamweight bout: Walel Watson will defeat Yves Jabouin
Preliminary card (Facebook):
Lightweight bout: Mark Bocek will defeat Nik Lentz
Welterweight bout: Rich Attonito will defeat Jake Hecht
Lightweight bout: John Cholish will defeat Mitch Clarke
Get more great MMA news, recaps and analysis over at MMA Valor.