It seems as if ever couple events a fight card gets ravaged by injuries and come fight time things look completely different. Saturdays UFC 137 has suffered through four injured fighters and a press conference no-show, resulting in a title fight being scrapped and multiple fighters now staring new opponents.
It was supposed to be Champion vs. Champion with Georges St. Pierre defending his welterweight title against the Strikeforce Welterweight champ Nick Diaz. Well that was thrown out the door when Diaz didn’t feel like being a part of the “beauty pageant”. Working quickly the UFC essentially flip-flopped Diaz and Carlos Condit, who was in the co-main event against BJ Penn.
Fate has a sense of humor and GSP injured his knee and Condit elected to wait for champ so the fight was scrapped and Diaz found himself in the main event once again.
Despite the drama and injuries, UFC 137 from top to bottom offers fans several intriguing and tough to call fights. With that being said this will not stop me from once again offering up some bold predictions for the complete card. Make sure you read all the way to the bottom though or you’ll miss out on our giveaway…….
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Main card (Pay-per-view):
170 lbs.: Nick Diaz will defeat B.J. Penn by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Diaz will not miss the fight like he did the press conference and as he usually does he’ll bring his “A” game. Using his long jab to score points and mouth to frustrate, the fighter out of the 209 will get his first win inside the Octagon since 2006.
265 lbs.: Roy Nelson will defeat Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic by 2nd rd. Submission (Rear Naked Choke)
- Rumor has it Roy Nelson has slimmed down for his bout with the legend, Cro Cop. Whether or not this is true Nelson gets this fight to the ground early and smothers his opponent until he taps via submission.
265 lbs.: Matt Mitrione will defeat Cheick Kongo by 2nd rd. TKO
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
- Facing his biggest test to date, many think Mitrione will crack under the pressure from Cheick Kongo. Not so fast though, the TUF 10 fighter will blast open that gate Kongo has been keeping watch on with a smile and consistent pressure.
145 lbs.: Hatsu Hioki will defeat George Roop by 3rd rd. Submission (Triangle Choke)
- OK typically fighters from Japan don’t fair that well in their first bout in the UFC but these are BOLD predictions here. Hioki will break the tradition and while losing the fight on points will catch George Roop with a triangle choke late in the fight.
135 lbs.: Scott Jorgensen will defeat Jeff Curran by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jeff Curran draws a tough opponent for his return to the UFC as he’ll have no answer for the relentless wrestling of Scott Jorgensen. Curran is too tough to finish but Jorgensen cruises to a decision, unanimously.
Preliminary card (Spike TV):
155 lbs.: Donald Cerrone will defeat Dennis Siver by Unanimous Decision
145 lbs.: Tyson Griffin will defeat Bart Palaszewski by Unanimous Decision
Preliminary card (Facebook):
205 lbs.: Brandon Vera will defeat Eliot Marshall by TKO
155 lbs.: Ramsey Nijem will defeat Danny Downes by Submission
185 lbs.: Chris Camozzi will defeat Francis Carmont by Split Decision
185 lbs.: Dustin Jacoby will defeat Clifford Starks by TKO
Get more great MMA news, recaps and analysis over at MMA Valor.