Mike Swick hasn't been inside the Octagon since a 2010 submission defeat to Paulo Thiago. This Saturday night, Swick will finally return to action, taking on DaMarques Johnson on the main card of UFC on Fox: Shogun Vs. Vera.
Swick and Johnson received a boost to the Fox-televised portion of the night after an injury knocked Ben Rothwell out of a fight with Travis Browne. Action takes place from Los Angeles' Staples Center.
For Swick, it doesn't really matter where on the card he is fighting. After having planned fights with David Mitchell and Erick Silva called due to injuries and other issues, he's just happy to be competing again.
"I was questioning what was going on," said Swick, in a recent interview with ESPN. "What was I doing wrong to deserve that kind of bad luck?"
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Prior to losses to Thiago and Dan Hardy, Swick had won four consecutive UFC bouts. He enters the Johnson match with a 14-4 record overall, including seven knockout wins. He feels that another strong run of wins could earn him a shot at that one final goal: a UFC title.
"In high school, we used to watch the UFC, and I would tell my friends I wanted to be a UFC fighter," Swick said. "They said I was a dreamer and it wouldn't happen. I went out and did it, but the one thing I never did was win that belt. That's the one goal I've had that I've never achieved, so it's always going to be there. That's the ultimate goal."
- Phil Davis Still Learning From Loss To Rashad Evans
- Matt Serra Feels Like Chris Weidman Can Defeat Anderson Silva
- Mauricio "Shogun" Rua Wants His Title Back From Jon Jones
- Cesar Gracie: Diaz Fighting Silva Not About Title
- Chris Weidman Has Words For Both Managers Of Anderson Silva
- Roger Gracie Says Fighting Tim Kennedy Would Be "Interesting Fight"
- "Road To The Octagon" Airs On Fox Today, Features Rua, Vera, Bader, Machida Camps
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline