Now, Swick is just days away from finally fighting again. Swick and DaMarques Johnson will compete on the main card this Saturday night at UFC on Fox: Shogun Vs. Vera from Los Angeles.
Swick found out he had an esophageal spasm after being misdiagnosed a number of times. After getting that issue resolved, he suffered a knee injury in training.
"To sit there and watch that many shows go by and not fight, it's really tough," Swick said. "But everyone's been super supportive and everywhere I go, people come up and shake my hand and show support; and they're excited for my return."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Swick has not fought since being choked out by Paulo Thiago in early 2010. In fact, since a four-fight win streak was stopped in 2009 by Dan Hardy, that's the lone fight Swick has been able to fulfill.
That, however, could become an asset for "Quick," as he doesn't have the wear and tear of several fights on his body.
"I think, in a way, I've preserved a lot of my athletic prime while dealing with my health issues," Swick said. "Over the last two years, I've not taken any damage to my body or head in a way that eight or 12 fights would have done."
Swick feels the bout with Johnson is a perfect way to return, adding, "it's gonna be a great match up for the fans." Swick is 14-4 in his career, while Johnson is 16-10.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
- Aaron Simpson, Mike Pierce To Do Battle At UFC On FX 5
- Brandon Vera Reveals What He's Been Doing Wrong In Previous Fights
- Miesha Tate Sounds Off On Ronda Rousey's Nude Pictorial In ESPN
- Fox Sports To Introduce Ref Cam For UFC On Fox: Shogun Vs. Vera
- Mike Swick Finally Set To Return To Action This Saturday Night
- Foot Injury Has Jim Miller Currently On The Sidelines
- Paulo Thiago-Dong Hyun Kim Booked For UFC's China Debut In November
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.