Michael McDonald skyrocketed up the UFC bantamweight rankings by earning four wins in just over a years time. However, a nagging hand injury sent McDonald to the sidelines.
Now, after rehabbing, McDonald (15-1) is prepared to return to action as soon as the beginning of 2013. And, after recent news from UFC president Dana White concerning interim UFC bantamweight champion Renan Barao, McDonald could be positioned for a title shot.
Barao won the interim belt over Urijah Faber earlier this year. The Brazilian has stated he would prefer to wait for a unification match with Dominick Cruz, but White and the UFC appear to have different ideas - which is fine by McDonald.
"I feel right now that I'm ready to fight anybody in the world," said McDonald, in a recent interview with MMAjunkie.com. "I really will accept whoever they put in front of me, no matter who it is. I feel like I'm ready, skill-wise, to take on anybody they put in front of me; and if (Barao's) who they're talking about, then that's cool."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
McDonald had scar tissue on his right hand, which was causing swelling and keeping him from training following bouts. He explained that doctors, "took a tendon out of my wrist, and they sewed up that hole."
The 21-year-old McDonald has topped Miguel Torres, Alex Soto, Chris Cariaso and Edwin Figueroa since joining the UFC out of the WEC in 2011. His lone career loss came to Cole Escovedo in 2009.
- Magnus Cedenblad-Rafael Natal On For UFC On Fox 6
- Sara McMann Not Seeing Ronda Rousey Fight In The Near Future
- MMA Side Of GLORY - Dream Card Continues To Grow
- One Handed Nick Newell Ready For Title Run
- Nate Diaz Feels It's His Turn To Be UFC Champion
- Shogun Rua Discusses Turning Down Jon Jones Title Fight
- Mike Chiesa Signs With First Round Management
- Benson Henderson Focused On "W" Vs. Nate Diaz At UFC On Fox 5
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.