Matt Mitrione has agreed to step in for Shane Carwin and meet Roy Nelson at The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale. The card goes down December 15 from Las Vegas. MMAWeekly.com confirmed news of the fight on Thursday.
Carwin suffered a knee injury that will keep him from facing Nelson. The two can currently be seen as coaches on The Ultimate Fighter.
Mitrione and Nelson were once teammates on TUF, as they both were selected by Rashad Evans for the 10th season of the show. Nelson went on to capture the title.
Mitrione (5-1) is coming off the first loss of his career, dropping a decision to Cheick Kongo. He was scheduled to face Philip De Fries at UFC 155: Dos Santos vs. Velasquez II, but will now be competing in the main event. De Fries is expected to receive a new opponent and remain on the year-end card.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- GSP Had Carlos Condit Defeating Nick Diaz Earlier This Year
- Bellator 81 Weigh-In Results: Lightweight Semifinals Made Official
- Jon Fitch-Demian Maia Added To UFC 156 Card
- Royce Gracie Backtracks On Shane Carwin Comments
- Matt Mitrione Will Face Roy Nelson At TUF 16 Finale
- Mike Mucitelli: No Room In MMA For Bullies Like Dan McGuane
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.