Matt Mitrione (5-1) hasn't been thrilled with Jon Jones' (16-1) demeanor as of late and if the current light heavyweight champion decides to make the move to a heavyweight, he's open to fighting him.
"Over time he went from a pretty cool guy, humble, to as arrogant as I can handle," said Mitrione on The MMA Hour. "He seems really disingenuous; not my flavor of a human being. I even told [UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva, if he talks of going to heavyweight, I'd love to welcome Jon Jones to heavyweight. I'd love to try and punch him in the face."
"I'm not a fan of Jon Jones as a person, but I like him as a fighter," said Mitrione. "He's athletic, has a lot of talent. As a fighter, I understand why he said no [to the Sonnen fight]. He has a lot to lose. But a lot of people are correct."
After Mitrione's loss to Cheick Kongo (5-1) at UFC 137 in 2011, he suffered a hernia and then had bone chips removed from his elbow. He suffered another injury since, but chose not to disclose it. Mitrione looks to return to action soon.
"Hopefully something happens that somebody has to bail out of a fight, some heavyweight," said Mitrione. "I'm getting my way back to shape. A couple of weeks I'll be in good shape. If some heavyweight bails, I'd love to be the first replacement."
- UFC 152 Results And Live Coverage On Sep. 22, Current Card
- José Aldo Dreams To Fight In Brazil’s Maracanã Stadium
- Charlie Brenneman Stands Behind His Tweets Against Jon Jones
- Pat Curran Just Waiting On Doctor’s Clearance
- Matt Mitrione Has Seen A Change In Jon Jones, Welcomes Him As A Heavyweight
- Johny Hendricks Hopes GSP-Silva Superfight Doesn't Happen
- Dan Henderson Deserves Part Of The Blame For UFC 151 Incident, Says Dana White
- Vitor Belfort On Fighting For UFC Title: "Priceless"
- UFC Confirms China Card, Rich Franklin-Cung Le As Main Event
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline