UFC Tonight correspondent Karyn Bryant was in attendance in Belo Horizonte, Brazil for this past weekend's UFC 147: Silva vs. Franklin II, where she ran into PRIDE legend and former UFC champ, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua to ask the Brazilian light heavyweight directly if rumors that he told UFC president Dana White he would rather be cut than face Glover Teixeira was true. The response to this question, as well as "Shogun's" thought on his next opponent, Brandon Vera, are transcribed below:
On whether "Shogun" told White he'd rather be cut than face Teixeira: "I never said that. My team and I talked and decided that Glover is a guy who has just entered the UFC and we figured out that it was not a good fight for us.
"My number one goal is the belt so I want to fight guys who put me back on track for the belt like "Rampage" Jackson, and Brandon Vera is a guy who is very famous, so a win over him would put me back on track."
Shogun's thoughts on his upcoming opponent, fellow Muay Thai specialist, Brandon Vera: "Brandon Vera is a great fighter, but he has more history in the UFC than Glover. He (Teixeira) just fought in the prelims, so Brandon Vera is a more well-known fighter and that's why I'd like to fight him."
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
"Shogun" faces off against Brandon "The Truth" Vera August 4, to headline the UFC on Fox 4.
- Video: Trailer For MMA-Centered Film "Here Comes The Boom" Released
- Alistair Overeem Discusses His Suspension On "UFC Tonight"
- Terry Etim Out, Joe Lauzon Awaits New Opponent For "UFC On FOX 4"
- Pre-Fight Trash Talk By Anderson Silva Doesn't Bother Chael Sonnen
- BJ Penn Requests VADA Testing For Fight With Rory MacDonald
- Video: Vitor Belfort Has Pins Removed From Hand After Surgery
- Pat Schilling Released By UFC
- Vitor Belfort Looking Towards A Future At Light Heavyweight
- Dana White Expecting UFC 100-Like Numbers For UFC 148
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.