After an impressive TKO victory over Chris Leben in November, Mark Munoz planned on taking some well-deserved time off—that is, until UFC matchmaker Joe Silva and president Dana White called "The Filipino Wrecking Machine" for a short notice bout against outspoken middleweight, Chael Sonnen.
Unfortunately, Munoz had to pull out of that fight with an elbow injury that required surgery, passing up a shot to be the number one contender, and next to face longtime champ, Anderson Silva.
Munoz spoke with FightHubTV's Marcos Villegas about the rehab process involved, as well as the psychological aspects of such an injury. Here are the highlights:
How the injury affected Munoz: "I didn't feel as if my injury hindered me at all, but during the Leben fight, I felt it. I never felt it in fights prior to that. And I've been complaining about my elbow for a long time. I've been complaining about it since (fighting in the) WEC, but I've been fighting consistently. I mean, my fight against Chael Sonnen would've been my ninth fight in 26 months."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
What it felt like to have his arm locked out at 90 degrees, knowing he'd have to have surgery and pull out of contender fight: "I was depressed, man. I kind of fell into depression for about a week. But then after that I realized it was just a part of it. Then I came to my senses and realized I needed to snap out of it."
How rehab has been coming along: "I go to rehab now three days a week. It used to be five-days a week, but I weened down to four, then three… It (the elbow) has just been getting progressively better. It was a sign that my body needed rest."
With his arm almost completely healed, Munoz is set to headline the UFC's Fuel TV event for July 11 against Matt Serra pupil, Chris Weidman.
For the full interview with Munoz, check out the video embedded below.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
- Fedor Emelianenko Announces His Retirement
- Sam Stout And Spencer Fisher Ready To Make Magic
- UFC On FX: Guida Vs. Maynard Weigh-in Results
- Gray Maynard Talks Sleepless Nights After Edgar Loss, Re-Inventing Himself
- Mark Munoz Talks Injury Rehab, Being Depressed After Injury
- Clay Guida Grateful For Five Round Fight Against Gray Maynard
- Danny Castillo And Michael Johnson Clash At UFC 151
- Live Video Of The UFC On FX Weigh-Ins At 4PM ET/1PM PT
- Two More Bouts Added To UFC On FUEL TV 5 In Nottingham
- Demetrious Johnson Misdiagnosed, Will Not Require Surgery