Hector Lombard has relinquished his Bellator middleweight title to pursue championship gold in the UFC. His absence left a void in Bellator, especially considering that this season's middleweight tournament finalists have been established and last season's tournament winner is still waiting in the wings.
The solution? Have them fight each other.
Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney revealed today via Twitter that the winner of this season's tourney, either Maiquel Falcao or Andreas Spang, will take on the winner of last season's tourney, Alexander Shlemenko, for the vacant belt.
"Winner of Falcao vs. Spang will face Alexander Shlemenko for the world title this fall," Rebney posted.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Shlemenko also won Bellator's second season tournament, losing to Lombard by unanimous decision in their title fight. He was recently injured in a car accident, but is expected to be well enough to fight in the fall.
Falcao and Spang have not received a date for their finals match up yet.
- Video: Alistair Overeem's NSAC Hearing
- Falcao-Spang Winner To Face Alexander Shlemenko For Vacant Title
- Vinny Magalhaes Blames Extended Absence On M-1 Global
- Video: Georges St-Pierre's And His Road Back To The Octagon
- Free From Bellator, Jay Hieron To Try Luck With Legacy FC
- Dana White Calls Overeem Liar, Says Future With UFC Uncertain
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Fighter Salaries
- Keith Kizer Says No Issues Will Come In Chael Sonnen Receiving His Fight License
- Only A Title Shot Would Get Chuck Liddell Out Of Retirement
- Chael Sonnen "Embarassed" For Anderson Silva
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Cheick Kongo On Tap For "UFC 149"
- Frank Mir Wants To See Alistair Overeem Receive Another Shot In UFC
- Mark Munoz Vs. Chris Weidman Slated For Main Event Of "UFC On FUEL TV 4"
- Troubling Details Surface Surrounding Overeem's Doctor
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.