Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida earned the status of No. 1 contender when he defeated Ryan Bader earlier this year. However, Machida turned down a short notice fight with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.
"With all respect, but for me Chael doesn't deserve the title shot," Machida posted on Twitter. "I would like to know what he had done in LHW for deserve."
Sonnen was the first - and only fighter - to agree to face Jones at the cancelled September card. That, along with his continued verbal warfare vs. Jones likely pushed the UFC to make the decision to pair the two up on The Ultimate Fighter as coaches. They are scheduled to collide in April for the belt.
As for Machida, he is rumored to be headed for a match with Henderson that would likely either be a title-eliminator bout or a No. 1 contender match.
- Rashad Evans Discusses Chael Sonnen-Jon Jones Bout
- Kenny Florian: UFC Sending Message To "Step Up" By Giving Sonnen Fight
- Dana White Wants Cowboy Stadium As Soon As Fight Can Be Made
- Eddie Alvarez Opens Up About His Future
- MFC Promoter Mark Pavelich Has An Issue With Female MMA
- Jeremy Stephens Released From Jail, Issues Statement
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.