After being denied a chance at the middleweight championship again, Lorenz Larkin (13-0-1 NC) is starting to think that Luke Rockhold (10-1) never planned to defend his Strikeforce title and was waiting to transition to the UFC.
"I just think that [Rockhold] doesn't want to just fight," said Larkin to MMA Junkie Radio. "There's no doubt he's going to the UFC. He should have never taken the fight. I would rather him never taken the fight and me fought somebody totally different."
The first encounter between the two was set for November's Strikeforce show. That show was cancelled after Rockhold revealed a hand injury with only weeks until the title fight. They were rescheduled to meet at Strikeforce: Champions in January. Rockhold announced that his hand is still injured and thus unable to compete on the final Strikeforce show.
The champion called Larkin's comments "obviously misinformed" and "pretty amateur."
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
Rockhold was quick to point the finger of blame at Strikeforce. He told Strikeforce officials that though he couldn't compete on the November card, he had a timeframe to be ready in January. Rockhold said nobody kept in contact with him and he was unable to train during that time.
"They announced the fight, and I immediately called and told them how I felt and now here we are," said Rockhold. "They wanted to make a date happen and for some reason they have to put on a last card. I just wasn't able to make the date at that time."
- Lavar Johnson: "I Don't Really Bark, I Just Bite"
- Dustin Poirier: Nothing's For Sure In MMA 'til The Cage Is Locked
- Dana White To UFC On Fox 5 Fighters: Please, Stay Healthy
- Nick Diaz, Not Johny Hendricks, Is GSP's No. 1 Contender, Says Trainer
- Che Mills-Matt Riddle On Deck For UFC On Fuel TV 7
- Anderson Silva At 170 Pounds? Coach Says It Would Be A "Crime"
- ONE FC And GLORY Strike Deal, Additional DREAM Championship Fight Mentioned
- Lorenz Larkin: Luke Rockhold Signed To Fight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.