Chael Sonnen ran into some troubles with the Nevada State Athletic Commission during past interactions. However, NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer feels like Sonnen should have no problem receiving his fight license for a planned July 7 bout with Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title at UFC 148.
"He's done his time," said Kizer, in a recent interview with MMAjunkie.com. "He's come clean on his prior dishonesty, and that's all appreciated."
Kizer said the decision would rest on NSAC Chairman Raymond "Skip" Avansino, but Sonnen should be in the clear. NSAC and Sonnen had issues dating back to Sonnen lying about receiving permission to use prescribed testosterone for a bout with Nate Marquardt.
The problems continued when the UFC tried to get Sonnen as a coach on The Ultimate Fighter, the three had a closed-door meeting that did not go well.
Silva-Sonnen 2 was moved from Brazil to Las Vegas earlier this week, making it a key that Sonnen receive his fight license from the state. "The Spider" defeated Sonnen via fifth round submission in their first meeting.
- Video: Alistair Overeem's NSAC Hearing
- Falcao-Spang Winner To Face Alexander Shlemenko For Vacant Title
- Vinny Magalhaes Blames Extended Absence On M-1 Global
- Video: Georges St-Pierre's And His Road Back To The Octagon
- Free From Bellator, Jay Hieron To Try Luck With Legacy FC
- Dana White Calls Overeem Liar, Says Future With UFC Uncertain
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Fighter Salaries
- Keith Kizer Says No Issues Will Come In Chael Sonnen Receiving His Fight License
- Only A Title Shot Would Get Chuck Liddell Out Of Retirement
- Chael Sonnen "Embarassed" For Anderson Silva
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Cheick Kongo On Tap For "UFC 149"
- Frank Mir Wants To See Alistair Overeem Receive Another Shot In UFC
- Mark Munoz Vs. Chris Weidman Slated For Main Event Of "UFC On FUEL TV 4"
- Troubling Details Surface Surrounding Overeem's Doctor
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.