Dos Santos (15-2) suffered his first UFC loss, but vowed to the fans to return.
"Cain Velasquez, like you said, I'm going to come back and take my belt again," dos Santos said.
The Brazilian's face was a bruised mess by the time the fifth round ended. In fact, it was a pretty ugly after the first five minutes of action.
Velasquez (11-1) hit on 64 of 115 strikes in the opening round, including 42 significant strikes. All total, Velasquez landed 210 strikes to just 66 by dos Santos.
- Mark Munoz Involved In Car Accident, Appears To Have Avoided Any Serious Injuries
- Antonio Silva Only Fighting Junior Dos Santos If UFC Forces Him To
- Glover Teixeira Plans To KO Quinton Jackson Out Of The UFC
- Video: Backstage Access To UFC 155
- Jon Jones Responds To Dan Henderson: "Old Guy Got Jokes"
- Nate Marquardt Glad To Put Old Issues With Dana White Behind Him
- Pat Healy Frustrated With UFC’s Decision Making About Strikeforce Fighters
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.