Junior Dos Santos: I Don't Run from Any Challenge

| by

Junior dos Santos (15-1) isn't a fan of how the UFC decides who's next to challenge for his or any title and cites the news that Chael Sonnen (27-12-2) and Alistair Overeem (36-11-1 NC) are now the No. 1 contenders in their designated division as the example.

"It's kind of out of order," said Santos on Beat 98. "Nowadays, the UFC is prioritizing those fights which will sell well. A prime example of this was Chael Sonnen, who sold his fight very well. Overeem has followed the same path."

Sonnen was granted a light heavyweight championship fight by Dana White after stepping up and offering to fight Jon Jones (17-1) on a weeks notice at UFC 151. White also cited that it made sense since Jones has an army injury and the fans want the fight. Jones declined the original fight with Sonnen, who used the media as a way to earn that spot. Sonnen and Jones will coach on the upcoming season of The Ultimate Fighter and compete in April.

Even in his own division, Santos has spoken up about Overeem who will challenge for the championship next. Overeem was suspended following a random drug that came back positive for steroids earlier in the year. He can reapply for a license at the start of the year and White confirmed he is still the No. 1 contender after defeating Brock Lesnar (5-3) at UFC 141.

Santos returns to action before the year is up at UFC 155 against Cain Velasquez (10-1). Santos will look for a repeat performance from their 2011 fight, when he defeated Velasquez to become the heavyweight champion. For that fight, Santos said he will be ready when the two meet on the final UFC card of the year on December 29.

"But for me bring it on," said Santos. "I do not run from any challenge, I know I can beat anyone whatsoever. Come whoever comes, I will do my best to go out with a win in the Octagon."

Related Content

Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.