UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta informed ESPN that UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos will compete next on the year-end card slated for December 29. Who dos Santos meets - Cain Velasquez or Alistair Overeem - remains a mystery, however.
"There is no contract but that's what we have penciled in my office," Fertitta said.
Dos Santos (15-1) defeated Frank Mir earlier this year in his first title defense. It was reported after the fight that he would face Velasquez next, the same man he won the belt from in 2011.
Overeem was slated to be the first defense for "Cigano," but the former Strikeforce heavyweight champion was taken out of the fight after failing a drug test. His suspension would end right around the end of December, allowing for him to be placed in a fight if he is granted a new license.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Fertitta said Overeem's case would be heard no later than December 27, but he has been told it could be even earlier, adding, "The best case scenario is he's licensed in enough time to put him on the December card."
Keith Kizer, head of the Nevada Athletic Commission, however, stated, "I don't think there is any truth to that and I would be against (an early hearing). That is not how our rules read."
- Nate Diaz Inks New Deal With UFC
- Roy Nelson Tweets "The Juice Is Good" In Regards To Using TRT
- Dana White Fine With TRT, As Long As It's Used Properly
- Video: Another Teaser For All-Access Ronda Rousey
- Seth Petruzelli To Compete At K-1 Rising
- Lightweights Bobby Green, Matt Ricehouse Placed On Strikeforce: Rousey Vs. Kaufman
- Dan Henderson Thinks Lyoto Machida’s Style Contains A Flaw
- Henderson Feels Age Is Not A Factor In His Upcoming Fight Against Jones
- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Willing To Coach TUF: Brazil Vs. Shogun Rua
- Frank Mir Gave No Second-Thought To Facing Daniel Cormier
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.