Josh Koscheck's departure from American Kickboxing Academy came as a shock when it was announced. Koscheck, who said issues with AKA head trainer Javier Mendez were to blame for his decision to leave, continues to blame Mendez for much of the struggles of the camp.
"I think the reason why everybody is so successful at the gym, over there in San Jose, is because of the training partners," said Koscheck, in a recent interview with MMAFighting.com. "I really truly believe that the training partners is why guys have fought for world titles and guys have been UFC champions like Cain (Velasquez), was because of the training partners. If you had real coaching, you would have seen a lot more champions out of that gym and I think that now, in my career, we're going to see big improvements really quick."
Koscheck will still work with AKA fighters such as Jon Fitch and Velasquez, but will do so at his Dethrone gym in Fresno. He added that Mendez never was his coach while at AKA, and that he has moved on and "I'm done with that chapter of my life and I prefer not to talk about it."
Koscheck, who defeated Mike Pierce earlier this year, will face Johny Hendricks at UFC On FOX 3 on May 5. Hendricks defeated Fitch in his previous fight.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- No One Is Unbeatable, Including Jonny "Bones" Jones
- Video: Tim Sylvia Goes Beast Mode To Convince Dana White
- Urijah Faber Has No Issue Coaching Dakota Cochrane
- Dana White Publicly Apologizes To Showtime Execs
- Tim Hague Looking To Settle Feud With McCorkle ASAP
- Phil Davis, Ross Pearson Among Those That Will Help Dominick Cruz On "TUF: Live"
- Urijah Faber Reveals Coaches, Plans For "The Ultimate Fighter: Live"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.