Joseph Benavidez remained in a state of shock for hours following his loss to Demetrious Johnson Saturday evening at UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort. The two met for the right to become the first-ever UFC flyweight champion, an honor Johnson now holds after his decision victory.
"This just feels fake right now," said Benavidez, in an interview with Fuel TV. "The fight just ended, so I don't really know what to think. I can't believe it at the moment right now."
Johnson used his exceptional quickness and strong takedowns to keep Benavidez guessing all night. The Team Alpha Male fighter was unable to utilize his heavy hands, as "Mighty Mouse" seemed a step ahead through the 25-minute battle.
"It didn't go how I visualized, so what can I do," Benavidez said. "I thought I was going to win. I train to win. I train to be the best. He was tougher than I thought."
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
- Chael Sonnen Says Jon Jones Is "Next"
- Dana White Calls Spike TV The Worst Channel
- Greg Jackson Was Concerned When Vitor Belfort Locked In The Armbar
- Vladimir Matyushenko Rips Matt Hamill - Roger Hollett Fight
- Cub Swanson Awaits José Aldo Rematch
- UFC Not Happy With How Bellator Handles Contracts
- Dana White Says Georges St-Pierre Is The Top UFC PPV Attraction, Talks Silva Vs. GSP
- Brian Stann Surprised By Decision Loss To Michael Bisping
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline