Coming this October, Aldo will get that chance. Due to an injury by Erik Koch, the UFC replaced Koch with Edgar for the UFC 153: Aldo vs. Edgar main event from Brazil.
"The UFC made me very happy giving me this fight right now," said Aldo, in a recent interview with Bleacher Report. "It is a pleasure to fight with Edgar inside my country. I think this is going to be the fight of the year. It is a great opportunity to show everyone I'm the best. I will be looking to finish the fight at all times."
Earlier this year, Aldo defeated Chad Mendes in Brazil via knockout at the end of the first round. He sprinted out of the Octagon and celebrated with the fans.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Edgar decided to move down to 145 pounds after a second straight loss to Benson Henderson. "The Answer" dropped the title to Henderson in Japan, and was denied it back in a rematch. Edgar won the UFC lightweight title from BJ Penn in Abu Dhabi back in 2010.
Aldo sees this fight as a chance to prove himself against one of the top men in the world, and cement his status in the pound-for-pound rankings.
"My fight with Edgar is a big challenge for me, but after him, I will have another big challenger," Aldo said. "In my mind, I'm always the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true:
- Michael Bisping On Possible Light Heavyweight Return
- Report: Frank Mir-Daniel Cormier Set For November 3
- Daniel Cormier Says Tim Sylvia's Name Was Among Those Discussed For Strikeforce Fight
- Jose Aldo Involved In Accident, Escapes With No Serious Injuries
- Renato "Babalu" Sobral Slated For Bellator Debut Next Year
- Bellator Wants More Action From Its Champions Starting In 2013
- Jon Jones Doesn't Care If You Hate Him
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.