Pat Healy (28-16) will still compete at Strikeforce: Champions, it just won't be for a title. He now takes on Jorge Masvidal (23-7). Healy was supposed to challenge Gilbert Melendez (21-2) for the lightweight championship on the show after their original fight was scratched due to injury. With the champion Melendez still out, the fight has been nixed.
Healy has won five in a row, earning two of those this year, and became the No. 1 contender in doing so. Masvidal is 3-1 for Strikeforce, where his only loss came at the hands of Melendez.
Melendez was supposed to fight on the January card, but has been out several months with an injury.
"I hear January is the last show, and then January isn't the last show," said Masvidal to MMA Junkie. "I don't know. I just hope that if it's completely and utterly dead, I want to go to Strikeforce's funeral because what's going on is not cool."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
The location on the card and at what weight class they will fight is unknown.
Strikeforce: Champions takes place January 12 at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City. It is expected to be the final Strikeforce show.
- Magnus Cedenblad-Rafael Natal On For UFC On Fox 6
- Sara McMann Not Seeing Ronda Rousey Fight In The Near Future
- MMA Side Of GLORY - Dream Card Continues To Grow
- One Handed Nick Newell Ready For Title Run
- Nate Diaz Feels It's His Turn To Be UFC Champion
- Shogun Rua Discusses Turning Down Jon Jones Title Fight
- Mike Chiesa Signs With First Round Management
- Benson Henderson Focused On "W" Vs. Nate Diaz At UFC On Fox 5
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.