Jonathan Brookins was already a seasoned veteran of the sport when he entered The Ultimate Fighter, having been inside the Octagon with the likes of Jose Aldo and amassing 11 wins. However, after capturing the title on TUF, Brookins still didn't feel fully-prepared to be a fighter in the UFC.
"Since The Ultimate Fighter, the things I needed to improve the most upon were mostly personal issues that kept me from being the best I could be," said Brookins, in an exclusive interview with FightLine. "It wasn't necessarily a skill set that I could say I dedicated myself to the most because training will always be there, but if I am not enjoying training and I am not giving it my all, then everything is meaningless."
Brookins will return to the Octagon at The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale on June 1 to face Charles Oliveira. He sports a 2-1 record with the UFC, rebounding from a loss to Erik Koch to defeat Vagner Rocha in his last bout.
"It was very, very, very important to rebound after the Koch fight," Brookins said. "I feel like losing to Koch taught (me) that I need to fight. Before that I think I thought I could just get away with coasting in there and just holding somebody down. I wasn't in a good place mentally before that fight, but that was a great wake up call!"
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
With Oliveira, Brookins believes in just focusing on what he can control - himself - and not worrying about knowing every little thing about his opponent, adding, "I have just been most importantly ENJOYING training, doing everything that I enjoy and doing as much of it as I can. No concerns about Oliveira, just excitement because I think he is one heck of a fighter!"
- "Bellator 65" Weigh-In Results: Zach Makovsky, Eduardo Dantas Official For Main Event
- Video: UFC 145 - "The Champ Is Here!"
- Frank Trigg Fired By HDNet Over Claims Of Domestic Abuse And Adultery
- Tito Ortiz Picks Jones Over Evans At UFC 145
- Alessio Sakara Predicts KOTN Or FOTN Against Brian Stann
- Brandon Vera Sees Thiago Silva Getting KTFO By Gustafsson
- Video: "UFC On FUEL TV: Gustafsson Vs. Silva" Press Conference
- Nick Diaz's Team Responds To Amended NSAC Complaint
- Video: Pros Split Over Jones Vs. Evans Winner
- Frank Mir To Be A Guest On "MMA Uncensored Live" Tonight On Spike TV
- UFC Approves Of Creation Of IMMAF
- UFC Featherweight Champ Jose Aldo Still Without An Opponent For "UFC 149"
- Jon Jones On Fighting Junior Dos Santos: "It Is Something I Would Totally Entertain"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.