UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is a student of all aspects of MMA. Jones is also well-aware of the other kind of numbers that come with being a superstar in the sport.
"He was my lowest pay-per-view draw of last year," said Jones, who submitted Machida in late 2011. "No one wants to see me fight Lyoto Machida. I don't want to fight Lyoto again. Lyoto is a high risk and low reward. He's a tough fighter, but no one wants to buy that fight."
Jones went up against Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson in his two other main events in 2011. So far this year, he's fought Rashad Evans and will defend his belt at UFC 151: Jones Vs. Henderson in September against Dan Henderson.
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
"Between 'Shogun, 'Rampage' and Rashad, Lyoto was my lowest draw," Jones said. "Why would I want to fight someone where it's a lose-lose situation? I won't make money on it, and he's a tricky fighter."
Machida was named the next contender to the belt by UFC president Dana White recently after he knocked out Ryan Bader. Jones added, "I don't know how to answer that right now," when asked if he would accept a match with Machida if he defeats Henderson.
- Mark Hominick Knows His Career Is On The Line At UFC 154
- Randy Couture On His Son Following In His Footsteps
- Series Of Interesting Messages From Jason "Mayhem" Miller Posted On Twitter
- XFC 20 Finalized With A Main Event Of Eric Reynolds Vs. Danny Salinas
- Dan Henderson Wants To Leave No Doubt By Winning All Five Rounds Or Knocking Jon Jones Out
- Strikeforce: Rousey Vs. Kaufman Medical Suspensions Handed Down To Many Fighters
- Tito Ortiz Says He Created UFC Light Heavyweight Division’s Weight Limit
- Video: Highlights From Ronda Rousey-Sarah Kaufman Title Fight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.