It seems that all those posts by Chael Sonnen recently got under the skin of UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. Sonnen, who was denied a shot at Jones' belt, fired off several "fighting words" via Twitter after "Bones" decided against taking the fight on short notice.
Instead, Jones will defend his title against Vitor Belfort at UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort on September 22. Sonnen, who is set to face Forrest Griffin later this year, has already said he expects Belfort to withdraw from the fight and have himself inserted into the title match.
Sonnen wrote on Facebook a few days ago that, "I am no longer permitted to speak ill of the former champion Jon Jones." Sonnen believes that by declining to fight him, Jones vacated the title to Sonnen.
Below are some of the messages Sonnen sent to Jones via Twitter over the past week-plus:
I KNOW you will never fight me. Don't be afraid. But I'll always be the monster in the closet of your mind, little JJ.
30 min to cement your legacy. Champ or Coward? I make a lot more than you do... Show up in 8 days I'll give you my purse.
You pay the guys from the undercard, I'll pay Vitor. See you on the 22nd.
For what it's worth, Jones made a post that was an obvious knock against Sonnen, as well:
Another former world champion, now this is what I'm here for..
- Video: Weigh-Ins For ONE FC 5: Pride Of A Nation
- Anderson Silva: "A Lot Of People Thought I Was Gay" Growing Up
- Official Numbers Come In For UFC 150: Henderson Vs. Edgar II
- TUF Winner Michael Chiesa Returns To Action Vs. Rafaello Oliveira This December
- Joseph Benavidez Plans To Exploit Demetrious Johnson’s Weak Spot
- Thales Leites Responds To Anderson Silva's Recent Remarks
- Eddie Yagin-Dennis Siver Finds Home At UFC On Fox 5
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.