UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones felt some MMA fans took his words about his teammates a different way than they were meant to be taken during an interview on UFC Ultimate Insider recently. Jones and No. 1 contender Rashad Evans were both part of the show and Jones was asked about working with his teammates at Greg Jackson's gym in New Mexico.
"There's more to Jackson's than the four or five or six UFC fighters that's in the program," Jones said on the program (props to MMAMania for the transcription). "It's the kids who aren't in the UFC. It's the kids who don't have anything to offer. Who don't have money in the bank. Who don't have popularity or a following. These are the kids that love me. I am their team leader, their team captain. They appreciate the person that I am. They appreciate my loyalty to the team. That team is MY team now."
Jones felt some people took what he said the wrong way and clarified his remarks.
"I heard a lot of fans took my words out of context, saying I sound like I'm above my teammates," Jones said. "I was trying to say Rashad was always above our teammates. I'm a brother with all of them."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"Bones" is set to defend his title against "Suga" on April 21 at UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans.
- Nick Diaz's Team Responds To Amended NSAC Complaint
- Video: Pros Split Over Jones Vs. Evans Winner
- Frank Mir To Be A Guest On "MMA Uncensored Live" Tonight On Spike TV
- Jonathan Brookins Takes His Training To New Level As Bout With Charles Oliveira Approaches
- UFC Approves Of Creation Of IMMAF
- UFC Featherweight Champ Jose Aldo Still Without An Opponent For "UFC 149"
- Jon Jones On Fighting Junior Dos Santos: "It Is Something I Would Totally Entertain"
- Frank Mir's Manager Clears The Air In Regards To Overeem Situation
- Diego Nunes Sees Siver Fight As "Strength Vs. Speed"
- Mayhem Miller Still Going After Chael Sonnen On Twitter
- Video: Evidence Of Georges St-Pierre's Ongoing Recovery
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.