Jon Jones is the toast of the MMA world and, though many believe his impending opponent Rashad Evans has the strongest chance to beat him out of any other 205er, his reign at the top is forecast to be a long one.
At a recent press conference held to promote his battle with Evans, Jones was asked to assess the rise of promising light heavyweight prospect Alexander Gustafsson. The champion spoke well of the Swede, declaring him only a fight or two away from challenging him for the title.
"Alexander Gustafsson, I think he's pretty close to a title shot," said Jones. "I think maybe if he wins two more fights against some top guys -- like maybe Lyoto, or maybe Rashad or somebody –- somebody that could push him in different categories. I'd like to see him against another wrestler and I'd like to see him against a worthy striker. Then a title shot would be very appropriate. …
"I like his demeanor though. He has some swagger. That kid has swagger. He exudes winning from the second he steps in the cage, I realized that about him. And I think the kid has the potential to be a star. Sweden just, they loved him. He just has it and I'm excited for him."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Sitting near him, Rashad was quick to point out that Jones has an important piece of business to handle first before he should be worried about Alexander Gustafsson.
"Well, first you gotta win on Saturday to be excited for anybody," said the challenger. "Let's not forget about that little detail."
- Jon Jones: “Anywhere The Fight Will Go, I’ll Be Stronger And Hungrier”
- It’s Payback: Rashad Evans Predicts 2nd Round Victory
- Quick Shots: Nick Diaz Seminar, Chael Sonnen On Fight Day This Afternoon, Ranallo Note
- Video: Third And Final Episode Of "UFC 145 Primetime"
- MMA Link Club: Couture On Evans-Jones, UFC 145, Velasquez Open To Random Drug Testing
- Report: UFC 147 Headed To New City In Brazil; Sonnen-Silva 2 To Las Vegas, UFC 148
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Is Sold Out
- Bellator 66 Results: Alvarez Avenges Loss To Aoki
- Frank Mir Replaces Alistair Overeem At UFC 146 In Title Match With Junior Dos Santos
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Episode Seven Recap
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Preview And Predictions
- Rashad Evans Reminds Jon Jones Not To Look Past Saturday Night
- Check Out Rebellion Radio This Sunday Evening
- Video: "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Weigh-Ins
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Weigh-In Results
- Reminder: TUF: Live, Episode 7 Coverage Tonight
- Video: Bellator 66 Weigh-In Highlights
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.