Never one to shy away from the grind, UFC veteran and training partner of Martin Kampmann, Jay Hieron, discussed how he helped "The Hitman" prepare for his main event bout with a man he holds a decision victory over, Jake "The Juggernaut" Ellenberger.
Hieron, who is known for his grappling, told Fuel TV correspondant Molly Qerim that wrestling played a major part in the training camp leading up to the fight.
"Martin's wrestling has gotten a better because he's fought a bunch of wrestlers lately, so he's been working on his wrestling game and it was definitely there tonight."
Recently involved in his own five-round tussle with Bellator Welterweight Champ Ben Askren, the New York native told Qerim that the workouts were intensified and elongated.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"We just upped the work output," said Hieron. "Naturally, Martin has great cardio… we train for five rounds regardless."
While Hieron's assistance in the grappling aspect cannot be understated, Kampmann's fight with Ellenberger was ultimately decided on the feet, when the Dane blasted "The Juggernaut" with three straight knees to the face before referee Steve Mazzagatti intervened, declaring Kampann the winner via TKO.
- 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale' Medical Suspensions
- Three Fights Added To UFC 150 From Denver
- Video: Outtakes From Anderson Silva's Budweiser Commercial
- Chris Clements Steps In For Alves Against Bahadurzada
- Bibiano Fernandes Set To Make UFC Debut
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Fighter Payouts
- Jon Fitch Sidelined By Knee Injury
- Report: DREAM Closes Its Doors For Good
- Video: UFC Fighters Discuss Jon Jones' Recent DUI Arrest
- Joe Stevenson To Fight For Resurrection Fighting Alliance On June 30
- Gilbert Melendez Vs. Eddie Alvarez "Would Be Fantastic" According To Scott Coker