With only one MMA fight to his name, Greco-Roman wrestling gold medalist Rulon Gardner (1-0) says that at one time Pride wanted him to fight Fedor Emelianenko (34-4-1 NC).
"They wanted me to jump in there with Fedor," said Gardner. "They offered me a substantial amount of money and loved the idea of sambo and wrestling. You have two of the classic styles of wrestling."
Gardner wouldn't give the exact amount he was offered for the fight, but said it was in the seven figure range.
"They wanted us to go at it, but I had other aspirations that I wanted to get into," said Gardner. "I didn't look at my career as just being about money. I looked at it as doing the right thing, being smart and enjoying the journey. Right at that time, it just didn't feel right to jump back in and fight."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Gardner only fight was a victory at the end of 2004 and Emelianenko retired in 2012.
- Ken Shamrock Accused Of Assaulting A Woman
- Joe Rogan Feels The Older The Fighter The Better
- Lyoto Machida Turns Down Title Shot, Jon Jones Gets New Opponent For UFC 152
- Jon Jones Finally Makes His First Public Statements Since UFC 151 Cancellation
- Strikeforce: Rousey Vs. Kaufman Draws Over 3,500
- Joe Lauzon Does His Best To Sum Up The Entire Jon Jones-UFC 151 Drama
- Lightweights Shane Roller-Jacob Volkmann, Michael Johnson-Danny Castillo Moved To October
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.