One of the world's best lightweights (arguably the best) Gilbert Melendez is currently being held captive defending his title in the Strikeforce promotion.
As a result of the lack of depth in the Strikeforce 155lbs division and the absence of any true contender to his belt, Melendez only appeared in the cage twice last year, against respectable, but not top-ten competition. El Niño is understandably growing impatient with that pattern.
If he's not going to be pulled over to the UFC, Melendez at least wants to fight regularly against worthy competition. Though he hasn't gotten any official word on his opponent yet, rumor has it that Melendez will be appearing again in the cage at the next Strikeforce event, on May 19.
Melendez's manager Cesar Gracie revealed the news via Twitter, along with tossing out a couple of intriguing names from the UFC.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
"Gil is fighting May 19," wrote Gracie. "I hope (B.J.) Penn or (Anthony) Pettis."
The as-yet-unnamed Strikeforce 40 is scheduled to take place on May 19 at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California and will feature the conclusion of the heavyweight grand prix, as well as the likely debut of Nate Marquardt.
- Video: "Rampage" Jackson Tells Bas Rutten "I Think That Slavery Is Done" In Regards To UFC Contract
- Tyron Woodley Awaiting Word On Possible Date With Nate Marquardt
- "Bellator 60" Brings In 169,000 Viewers
- The Ultimate Fighter 15 Ratings
- MMA Opposer Bob Reilly Steps Down From Office
- Anthony Johnson Signs Contract With Titan Fighting Championships
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.