It wasn't Anthony Pettis, or even BJ Penn, announced for Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez. No, "El Nino" instead was given Josh Thomson for a third time, as the two will square off on May 19 at Strikeforce: Heavvyweight Grand Prix Finale from San Jose.
Rumors of a lightweight from the UFC entering Strikeforce and facing Melendez seemed to heat up right before Thomson was announced, and Melendez was excited. Still, he knows he'll receive a fight from Thomson who was the last person to defeat him inside the cage.
"I was hoping for something better, for some top talent, and it didn't work out," said Melendez, in a recent interview with MMAjunkie.com. "Sometihng to raise my stock. Josh Thomson is tough because it's always going to be tough with him."
After Thomson secured a victory from Melendez, the Cesar Gracie-trained fighter returned to hand him a loss of his own. Thomson secured the shot at Melendez by defeating K.J. Noons in his last bout.
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Video: "Countdown To UFC 145" Complete Episode
- Video: Rashad Evans Interview
- Chuck Liddell Calls Jones-Evans Odds "Ridiculous"
- "UFC 144: Edgar Vs. Henderson" Drug Test Results
- Overeem's Team Has Explanation For Test. Ratio, But It's Not TRT
- "UFC On FUEL TV 2: Gustafsson Vs. Silva" Ratings
- Video: Rashad Evans, "Georgia On My Mind"
- Revisit Greasegate And More In Dana White's UFC 94 Vlog
- Kenny Florian Voices Support For King Mo
- Newcomer Tim Elliott Will Face John Dodson At "UFC On FOX 3"
- Reminder: "Countdown To UFC 145" Will Debut Tonight On FUEL TV
- Alistair Overeem's Team Says Fighter Has Explanation For Failed Drug Test
- "TUF: Live" Ratings On The Rise With Episode Six
- Video: "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Media Primer
- Bellator Cuts Vila And Ueda After Bantamweight Tournament
- X-Ray Shows Siyar Bahadurzada's Hand Not Broken
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.