Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez has avenged his loss to Josh Thomson by taking back the belt he currently wears. This Saturday night, "El Nino" can put the finishing touches on his trilogy with "The Punk" when the two meet in the co-main event of Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Cormier.
The main card will air on Showtime, with the main event featuring Josh Barnett vs. Daniel Cormier in the finals of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix.
Melendez defeated Thomson back in 2009, a year after Thomson won their first meeting. Both bouts went the distance.
"I think the difference between me and Josh is he thinks he knows me like he knew me in 2009, and I see him and I feel like he hasn't evolved," said Melendez, in a recent interview with Strikeforce.com. "He's always tough, he's always in shape, but the difference between me and him now is that I've been working my butt off day in and day out to become a better striker, wrestler, and mixed martial arts, and I plan on showing that."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
Melendez was hoping for a fight with a competitor from the UFC, but in Thomson he'll be facing someone that has been a champion before. Thomson's had to deal with several injuries in his career that have taken time off his fighting.
- Video: Anderson Silva Budweiser Commercial Features Steven Seagal, Bruce Buffer, More
- "Bellator 69" Results: Maiquel Falcao Secures Tourney Title
- Urijah Faber Vs. Renan Barao Official At UFC 148
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Episode Eleven Recap
- 'Strikeforce: Grand Prix Finale' Weigh-In Results
- ShoFIGHT 20 To Feature A Host Of MMA Notables
- UFC On FUEL TV 3 Medical Suspensions List
- Chad Mendes Vs. Cody McKenzie Set For UFC 148
- Reminder: 'TUF: Live' Episode 11 Coverage Tonight
- UFC 146 Heavyweights Predict Strikeforce Grand Prix Final
- Check Out Rebellion Radio This Sunday
- Cristiano Marcello To Fight In TUF 15 Finale
- Jason "Mayhem" Miller On C.B. Dollaway: "I'm Going To Knock His Fart-Face Off"
- Gilbert Melendez Doesn't Feel Like Josh Thomson Has Evolved Since Last Meeting
- Junior Dos Santos Not Seeking Revenge Vs. Frank Mir For Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
- Struve And Johnson Talk Short Notice Opponent Switch
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.