Georges St-Pierre: "Thanks to the UFC for Taking Care of Me"

| by

UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has spent several months on the sidelines, recovering from a knee injury that was followed up by surgery for an injured ligament. Now, GSP is just a few short weeks away from stepping back inside the Octagon.

On Thursday, St-Pierre and Carlos Condit took part in a press conference to officially announce UFC 154: St-Pierre vs. Condit for Montreal this November.

St-Pierre has not defended his title since 2011 when he defeated Jake Shields. Condit claimed the interim title with a win over Nick Diaz earlier this year. For GSP, the treatment he received in rehab was perfect.

"Thanks to the UFC for taking care of me," St-Pierre said. "They took care of me like a king. They helped me chose the best surgeon, best rehab people for my knee. If I came back today like I am, it's because the UFC took care of me."

St-Pierre added that "when you get hurt, you realize health is the most important thing." As a fighting champion, not competing inside the Octagon was hard for GSP to deal with at first.

"I am very glad to be back," St-Pierre said. "I changed a lot of stuff at my training, my life. I've never been so pumped up in my life to step into the Octagon again."

Related Content

Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.