Former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar will step right into the featherweight division and receive a title shot, as he takes on Jose Aldo at UFC 153: Aldo vs. Edgar in October. As far as Edgar's manager, Ali Abdel-Aziz, is concerned, "The Answer" has been prepping for this fight for a while now.
"Frankie fought BJ Penn two times. Gray Maynard. He fought Ben Henderson, Sean Sherk; these are all big fights," said Abdel-Aziz, in a recent interview with Sherdog.com. "These guys are all great champions or most of those guys were champions. We definitely think Jose Aldo's a great champion also, but this is something Frankie's been training for all his life."
After dropping the title to Henderson earlier this year, the UFC was pushing for Edgar to enter the featherweight division. They offered up an immediate title shot with Aldo, but Edgar wanted a rematch with Henderson. After dropping that bout, as well, Edgar decided to move to 145 pounds.
"Frankie had Jose Aldo on the radar for a while," Abdel-Aziz said. "Frankie had been training for Aldo for a while."
Popular VideoThis young teenage singer was shocked when Keith Urban invited her on stage at his concert. A few moments later, he made her wildest dreams come true.
- Rashad Evans Makes Peace With Jon Jones
- Kyra Gracie On Transitioning Into MMA
- Kyle Kingsbury Receives Minor Injuries In Motorcycle Accident
- Joe Warren Ask For One More Chance In Bellator's Bantamweight Division
- Tyson Nam Willing To Re-Sign With Bellator At The Right Price
- Frankie Edgar Has Been Training To Fight Champions His Entire Career
- Anderson Silva Wants To Compete In MMA Until He's 43 Years Old
- MMA Fighter Pleads Guilty To Murder
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline