UFC president Dana White doesn't want to wait for the Nevada State Athletic Commission to decide Alistair Overeem's fate. Late Friday night, the UFC boss sent out a message on Twitter confirming that Frank Mir will challenge Junior dos Santos for the UFC heavyweight title at UFC 146 on May 26.
"Taking off to Atlanta!!!! May 26th is now Mir vs. JDS for the HW title in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand," White posted.
Overeem is set to go before the NSAC next week, in hopes of attaining his fight license. It was not made know what would happen to Cain Velasquez, who was set to face Mir in a No. 1 contender match on the same card.
Dos Santos sent out the following via Twitter after the change writing, "Dana White just said I get a new opponent to fight on May 26th for the HW title. JDS vs. Mir. Let's do it."
Popular VideoThis judge looked an inmate square in the eyes and did something that left the entire courtroom in tears:
- Video: "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Fighters Marcus Brimage, Maximo Blanco Have Tumble-Off
- Junior Dos Santos Gives Jon Jones Props For His Victory Over Rashad Evans
- Cain Velasquez-Antonio Silva New Fight For "UFC 146"
- Brock Lesnar's Decision To Return To WWE Fine With UFC Boss
- Change In Opponent Hasn't Changed Junior Dos Santos' Plans: KO Finish
- Dana White: Overeem's Future With UFC Up In The Air
- Video: UFC 145 Highlights - Jones Vs. Evans, MacDonald Vs. Mills
- Dana White Says BJ Penn Still Wants To Fight
- Rashad Evans Has No Plans To Drop To Middleweight
- Jon Jones Excited To Face Dan Henderson Next
- Video: Knockout Of The Night - Rothwell Vs. Schaub
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Gate And Attendance
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Fight Night Bonuses
- Jon Jones Grinds Out Victory To Secure Belt Over Rashad Evans
- Video: "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Post-Fight Press Conference
- UFC 145: Jon Jones Vs. Rashad Evans
- Rory MacDonald Runs Through Che Mills
- UFC 145: Rory MacDonald Vs. Che Mills
- Michael McDonald Proves He’s The Real Deal With Knock Out Over Torres
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.