Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir knows what happens when a fighter fails to tap to a vicious submission. However, that's not what Mir is trying to accomplish when he steps inside the Octagon.
This Saturday night, Mir will look to wear the UFC heavyweight title once again when he meets Junior dos Santos in the main event of UFC 146. The card takes place live on pay-per-view from Las Vegas.
Late in 2011, Mir was paired up with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for a second match. Mir locked in an kimura, which Nogueira regfused to tap to, and suffered a broken arm in the process. That was never the outcome Mir was seeking.
"Honestly, I don't like the face that Nogueira didn't tap and got an arm broken," said Mir, in a recent interview with MMAJunkie.com. "He looked very sharp in that fight. I think it would have made me look better had he tapped and went on and had another two or three wins."
Nogueira is a mentor to dos Santos, which has been made a key story topic this week. Mir said, "If I grab him and he doesn't tap, it's going to make me a little upset. I don't want to have to break his arm."
Mir is 16-5 in his career and 14-5 in UFC fights. Dos Santos is 14-1, and a perfect 8-0 inside the Octagon.
- Video: "Countdown To UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir"
- Quick Shots: Bellator 70 Tomorrow, UFC 147 & UFC On Fuel Tix On Sale Today, Couture's New Movie
- Live Video Of The UFC 146 Pre-Fight Press Conference Today At 2 PM ET
- Alex Caceres To Return At "UFC On FUEL TV 4" Vs. Damacio Page
- Breaking An Arm Not On Frank Mir's Mind Ahead Of "UFC 146"
- Jason “Mayhem” Miller: “I Am Looking Past CB Dollaway!”
- Stefan Struve Discusses Maturation As Fighter, Opponent Lavar Johnson
- Video: Joe Rogan And Quinton "Rampage" Jackson Bury The Hatchet
- Four Castmember Fights Announced For 'The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale'
- UFC On FX 5 Headed For Indianapolis
- Randy Couture Offers Up His Take On Junior Dos Santos Vs. Frank Mir
- Jon Jones Has First Court Date Set For May 29
- UFC Announces Several Fights For "The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.